Free School Meals
Here at Orchard Mead Academy we have a number of measures in place to ensure everyone receives an equal opportunity. If a student is receiving Free School Meals, this allows the student to have a free hot or cold meal of their choice at lunchtime. It also means the student will receive other support such as reduced costs for school trips or support with purchasing revision resources.
Your child may be eligible for free school meals if you are in receipt of one of the following:
- Income support
- Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- National asylum seeker support
- Child tax credit (provided you’re not also entitled to working tax credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- The guaranteed element of state pension credit
- Working tax credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit.
- Universal credit with annual net earned income of less than £7,400
If a student is eligible, they receive their Free School Meals top-up on their ID card automatically.
To apply for Free School Meals please follow the links below:
Leicester City Council
If you have any questions on free school meals or need support with your application, please email: [email protected] or call 0116 454 1009 (option 3).
Leicestershire County Council
- Name: School Catering Services
- Phone:0116 305 5417
- Email: [email protected]
- Address: County Hall
Free School Meal FAQs
Students who are eligible for free school meals have £2.35 allocated to their school dinner account each day.
This allowance is only to be used for a lunch time meal.
The allowance does not roll over each day, it begins again, so please use it!
Students who wish to have snacks at break time will need to have additional funds added to their student card.
Our Breakfast club is available every day from 7.30 am, and all students can have a free breakfast at this provision.