Why do we have an Academy Uniform?
We believe that uniform plays a valuable role in contributing to the positive ethos of our academy, setting an appropriate tone.
- It enables pupils to wear clothes appropriate for working in safe and aspiring environment.
- It clearly signals our high expectation of pupils and our strong work ethic, instilling pride in the school.
- It protects pupils from social pressures to dress in a particular way, nurturing cohesion and promoting good relations between different groups of pupils.
- It helps pupils to prepare for their futures in the world of work, where dress codes are usually expected.
- Our uniform is used to identify us in the local community and the pupils wearing it, reflect the academy motto of Making a Positive Difference.
- Navy Academy blazer with logo
- Plain white collared school shirt, buttoned to the neck (long or short sleeves are permitted)
- House tie
- Mid-grey school trousers. These must not be leggings, jeggings or jeans. These should have a hem which is a minimum of 15 cm wide from seam to seam.
- OR blue tartan Academy skirt
- Mid-grey V-necked school jumper (optional)
- Plain, all black footwear, no coloured laces, stitching, logos or patterns. Heels will not be higher than 3cm. Footwear must be clean.
- Socks must be black, grey or navy and to the ankle.
- Black, Grey or flesh coloured tights may be worn. Leggings to the ankle may be worn under the skirt.
Dressed for success….
We have high expectations of all of our students and we expect them to wear the uniform with pride.
- All students will wear the navy blazer at all times. During hot weather or certain activities staff will give permission for the blazer to be removed;
- All students will wear a plain white collared school shirt, buttoned to the neck. Shirts must be tucked in;
- Students may choose to wear either mid-grey school trousers or the academy tartan school skirt
- Trousers must be mid-grey school trousers. They must not be leggings, jeggings or jeans. These should have a hem which is a minimum of 15 cm wide from seam to seam.
- Skirts must not be worn above the knee and must not be rolled over at the waistband.
- Students will wear their House tie each day. Ties will be tied correctly, tie length must meet the waistband of the skirt or trousers. The two House coloured strips on the tie must be visible.
- A plain jacket or overcoat may be worn over the top of the blazer. NO hoodies, denim or sports logo tops are permitted.
- A mid-grey V-necked school jumper may be worn underneath the blazer. This is optional.
- Jewellery must be discreet. Earrings must be small studs. Nose piercings are allowed but this must be a small stud. No other facial piercings are allowed.
- Head scarfs and turbans must only be worn in plain navy or grey. Head scarfs must be tucked into the collar of the shirt so that the full school tie is visible at all times.
- Hair accessories must only be grey, white or navy blue.
- For health and safety reasons, nails must not be excessively long or sharp. The academy reserves the right to request that students shorten their nails.
- No excessive makeup is permitted.
- Hair colour should be within the natural range of colours. Students must not have extreme hairstyles or colours which would be deemed unacceptable in a business environment. The Academy reserves the right to decide what is deemed acceptable.
- Only navy, black, grey or flesh coloured tights may be worn. Leggings to the ankle may be worn under the skirt. Socks must be black, grey or navy and to the ankle.
- Footwear will be flat, plain, black and clean with no coloured laces, stitching, logos or patterns. Heels will not be higher than 3cm.
- The Academy reserves the right to decide what is deemed acceptable in all of the above uniform requirements.
- Students must wear their lanyards and ID badges at all times.
- At break and lunchtimes only – blazers may be removed in warm weather. After playing outside and before going inside, ties should be put back on and shirts tucked back in
- Please remember that mobile phones and headphones are banned at Orchard Mead. Students found with a mobile phone or headphones will have these items confiscated.
- School PE polo shirt (see pictures below)
- Navy tracksuit bottoms or shorts (Girls may wear Navy skort)
- Suitable/clean trainers for indoors
- Navy socks
- Trainers/boots for outdoor depending on the activity
- In cold weather Jumper is permitted (Not Hoodies)
(We advise that boots should be worn on the field)